Diabetes and Obesity
1. An apolipoprotein B100 mimotope prevents obesity in mice. Clin Sci (Lond). 2016 Jan;130(2):105-16.
3. Color-coded etiological keys: A simple survey tool towards amputation-free limb survival in diabetic foot lesions. J Diabetes Investig. 2016 May;7(3):413-9.
5. A clinical study which relates to a theoretical simulation of the glucose transport in the human placenta under various diabetic conditions. J Perinat Med. 2016 May 1;44(4):405-10.
7. Relationship between the efficacy of oral antidiabetic drugs and clinical features in type 2 diabetic patients (JDDM38). J Diabetes Investig. 2016 May;7(3):386-95.
9. Whole-grain pasta reduces appetite and meal-induced thermogenesis acutely: a pilot study. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016 Mar;41(3):277-83.
11. Clinical Efficacy of Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetes Mellitus: A Meta-Analysis. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 13;11(4):e0151938.
14. Long-Term Follow-Up of the Telemonitoring Weight-Reduction Program “Active Body Control”. J Diabetes Res. 2016;2016:3798729.
16. Metforminium Decavanadate as a Potential Metallopharmaceutical Drug for the Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016;2016:6058705.
17. Ranolazine improves insulin resistance in non-diabetic patients with coronary heart disease. A pilot study. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Sep 15;219:127-9.
19. Transient Ocular Wavefront Data in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Optom Vis Sci. 2016 Jul; 93(7):772-8.
2. Knockdown expression of Syndecan in the fat body impacts nutrient metabolism and the organismal response to environmental stresses in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Aug 12;477(1):103-8.
4. Biomolecular Characterization of Putative Antidiabetic Herbal Extracts. PLoS One. 2016 Jan 28;11(1):e0148109.
6. Mea6 controls VLDL transport through the coordinated regulation of COPII assembly. Cell Res. 2016 Jul;26(7):787-804.
8. Association of endothelial proliferation with the magnitude of weight loss during calorie restriction. Angiogenesis. 2016 Jul;19(3):407-19.
10. Utilizing Genomics through Family Health History with the Theory of Planned Behavior: Prediction of Type 2 Diabetes Risk Factors and Preventive Behavior in an African American Population in Florida. Public Health Genomics. 2016;19(2):69-80.
12. Child dietary and eating behavior outcomes up to 3.5 years after an early feeding intervention: The NOURISH RCT. Obesity. 2016 Jul;24(7):1537-45.
15. Featured Article: Inhibition of diabetic cataract by glucose tolerance factor extracted from yeast. Exp Biol Med. 2016 Apr;241(8):817-29.
18. Lean mass predicts conditioned pain modulation in adolescents across weight status. European Journal of Pain. 2016 Jul; 20(6): 967-976.
20. Outcomes and healthcare resource utilization associated with medically attended hypoglycemia in older patients with type 2 diabetes initiating basal insulin in a US managed care setting. Curr Med Res Opin. 2016 Sep;32(9):1557-65.
1. Ghrelin O-acyltransferase knockout mice show resistance to obesity when fed high-sucrose diet. J Endocrinol. 2016 228(2):115-125
3. Combining citrulline to atorvastatin preserves glucose homeostasis in a murine model of diet-induced obesity. Br J Pharmacol. 2015 Oct;172(20):4996-5008.
5. Diet/Energy Balance Affect Sleep and Wakefulness Independent of Body Weight. Sleep. 2015 Dec 1;38(12):1893-903
7. Incidence and care-related costs of severe hypoglycaemia requiring emergency treatment in Andalusia (Spain): the PAUEPAD project. Diabet Med. 2015 Nov;32(11):1520-6.
9. The VGF-derived peptide TLQP-62 modulates insulin secretion and glucose homeostasis. J Mol Endocrinol. 2015 Jun;54(3):227-39.
11. Visceral fat is better related to impaired glucose metabolism than body mass index after kidney transplantation. Transpl Int. 2015 Oct;28(10):1162-71.
14. Decreased insulin secretion and glucose clearance in exocrine pancreas-insufficient pigs. Exp Physiol. 2016 Jan 1;101(1):100-12.
16. A Comparison of the Effects of the GLP-1 Analogue Liraglutide and Insulin Glargine on Endothelial Function and Metabolic Parameters: A Randomized, Controlled Trial Sapporo Athero-Incretin Study 2 (SAIS2). PLoS One. 2015 Aug 18;10(8):e0135854.
18. Hypoglycemic and Antidiabetic Effect of Pleurotus sajor-caju Aqueous Extract in Normal and Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:214918.
20. Rapid increase in fibroblast growth factor 21 in protein malnutrition and its impact on growth and lipid metabolism. British Journal of Nutrition 2015 Nov 14;114(9):1410-18.
22. Electrophysiological assessments of the motor pathway in diabetic patients with compressive cervical myelopathy. J Neurosurg Spine. 2015 Dec;23(6):707-14
24. Lecithin:Cholesterol Acyltransferase (LCAT) Deficiency Promotes Differentiation of Satellite Cells to Brown Adipocytes in a Cholesterol-dependent Manner. J Biol Chem. 2015 Dec 18;290(51):30514-29.
26. Aquaporin 11 variant associates with kidney disease in type 2 diabetic patients. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2016 Mar 1;310(5):F416-25.
28. The Application of Systems Science to Addressing Obesity at the Workplace: Tapping into Unexplored Potential. J Occup Environ Med. 2016 Feb;58(2):123-6.
2. Using synchronous distance education to deliver a weight loss intervention: a randomized trial. Obesity. 2016 Jan;24(1):44-50
4. Multicenter investigation of lifestyle-related diseases and visceral disorders in thalidomide embryopathy at around 50 years of age. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2015 Sep;103(9):787-93.
6. Obesity: An overview of possible role(s) of gut hormones, lipid sensing and gut microbiota. Metabolism. 2016 Jan;65(1):48-65.
8. Disturbance of the intestinal microbial community by ursolic acid contributes to its function as a regulator of fat deposition. J Funct Food.2015 Apr;14:456-468.
10. GLP-2 as Beneficial Factor in the Glucose Homeostasis in Mice Fed a High Fat Diet. J Cell Physiol. 2015 230(12):3029-3036.
12. Ganglioside GM1 Contributes to the State of Insulin Resistance in Senescent Human Arterial Endothelial Cells. J Biol Chem. 2015 Oct 16;290(42):25475-86.
15. Alginates in Pharmaceutics and Biomedicine: Is the Future so Bright? Curr Pharm Des. 2015;21(33):4917-35.
17. Chronic Co-Administration of Sepiapterin and l-Citrulline Ameliorates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy and Myocardial Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury in Obese Type 2 Diabetic Mice. Circ Heart Fail. 2016 Jan;9(1):e002424.
19. Results of Automated Retinal Image Analysis for Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy from the Nakuru Study, Kenya. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 1;10(10):e0139148.
21. The Diabetes Visual Function Supplement Study (DiVFuSS). Br J Ophthalmol. 2016 Feb;100(2):227-34.
23. Urinary Exosomal miRNA Signature in Type II Diabetic Nephropathy Patients. PLoS One. 2016 Mar 1;11(3):e0150154.
25. Paternal long-term exercise programs offspring for low energy expenditure and increased risk for obesity in mice. FASEB J. 2016 Feb;30(2):775-84.
27. Clopidogrel Protects Endothelium by Hindering TNFα-Induced VCAM-1 Expression through CaMKKβ/AMPK/Nrf2 Pathway. J Diabetes Res. 2016;2016:9128050.
29. Integrating palliative care with usual care of diabetic foot wound. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2016 Jan;32 Suppl 1:303-10.
30. The Actions of Lyophilized Apple Peel on the Electrical Activity and Organization of the Ventricular Syncytium of the Hearts of Diabetic Rats. J Diabetes Res. 2016;2016:8178936.
BREAKING NEWS: EDITORS’ PICKS
- The Major Link Between Obesity and Diabetes. From Dr. Louis Venter. May 6, 2016
- Leptin plays a direct role in cardiovascular disease in obesity. Circulation, October 7, 2015
While high levels of the satiety hormone leptin don’t help obese individuals lose weight, they do appear to directly contribute to their cardiovascular disease.
- Adiponectin supplementation in pregnant mice prevents the adverse effects of maternal obesity on placental function and fetal growth. PNAS, 2015 Sept
As obesity rates for pregnant women continue to climb, scientists have discovered that increasing a specific hormone during pregnancy can reduce or eliminate the chances that the baby will become obese as well.
- High dietary fiber intake linked to health promoting short chain fatty acids. Gut, September 29, 2015
Eating a lot of fibre-rich foods, such as fruit, vegetables, and legumes–typical of a Mediterranean diet–is linked to a rise in health promoting short chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which include acetate, propionate, and butyrate, are produced by bacteria in the gut during fermentation of insoluble fibre from dietary plant matter. SCFAs have been linked to health promoting effects, including a reduced risk of inflammatory diseases, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
- Progress of Diabetic Severity and Risk of Dementia. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, July 9, 2015
People who have diabetes and experience high rates of complications are more likely to develop dementia as they age than people who have fewer diabetic complications.
- Measuring kidney health could better predict heart disease risk. Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology. May 29, 2015
Simple measures of kidney function and damage may be just as good at predicting who is at risk for heart failure and death from heart attack and stroke as traditional tests of cholesterol levels and blood pressure, new research suggests.
- Genetically elevated triglyceride level associated with protection against type 2 diabetes. PLOS Genetics, May 28, 2015
It demonstrates that triglyceride-increasing alleles are associated with decreased type-2 diabetes incidence. The studied genes therefore appear to both increase triglyceride levels and decrease type-2 diabetes risk. Although no single gene appeared to be driving this trend, several, including a variant near the APOA1 gene, stood out as potentially interesting to this finding.
- Diabetes debate: Triglycerides form in liver despite insulin resistance. PNAS, January 5, 2015
Triglycerides are produced in the liver independent of insulin action in the liver, solving one of the great mysteries of type 2 diabetes.
- Leptin also influences brain glial cells to control appetite. Nature Neuroscience, June 1, 2014
Twenty years after the hormone leptin was found to regulate metabolism, appetite, and weight through brain cells called neurons, researchers have found that the hormone also acts on other types of cells, glial cells, which provide the main barrier between the periphery and the brain, and therefore could be targeted for drugs that treat metabolic disorders, including obesity and diabetes.
- Obesity rates climbing worldwide. The Lancet, May 28, 2014
Worldwide, there has been a startling increase in rates of obesity and overweight in both adults (28% increase) and children (up by 47%) in the past 33 years, with the number of overweight and obese people rising from 857 million in 1980 to 2.1 billion in 2013, according to a most comprehensive global study to date.
- Clinical trial reaffirms diet beverages play positive role in weight loss. Obesity, May 27, 2014
This study clearly demonstrates that diet beverages can in fact help people lose weight, directly countering myths in recent years that suggest the opposite effect — weight gain.
- Muscle Molecule (ß-aminoisobutyric acid) After Exercise Spurs Fat Cells to Slim Down, Discovery could lead to drugs to fight obesity, diabetes. Cell Metabolism, 7 January 2014.
Exercise stimulates muscles to release a molecule: ß-aminoisobutyric acid (BAIBA), which induces white fat cells to become more like brown fat cells, altering their gene activity patterns. And it stimulates other cell types, stoking fat metabolism in the liver. Medium report.
- New Obesity Guidelines: Promise and Potential. JAMA. January 2014.
- Sugar intake not directly related to liver disease. Gastroenterology, November 1, 2013
Despite current beliefs, sugar intake is not directly associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, according to a new study. Rather, high-calorie diets promote the progression of this serious form of liver disease.
- How diabetes drug delays aging in worms. CELL. March 28, 2013
A widely prescribed type 2 diabetes drug, Metformin, slows down the aging process by mimicking the effects of dieting, according to a study using worms to investigate how the drug works.
1. Total mortality by elevated transferrin saturation in patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013 Sep;36(9):2646-54.
3. Late pregnancy reversal from excessive gestational weight gain lowers risk of childhood overweight–a cohort study. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Jun;21(6):1232-7.
5. Impact of Leptin Receptor Gene GLN223ARG Polymorphism on Obesity in Jeddah City. Life Sci J.2012 9(4):818-828
7. The novel use of commonly captured data to assess a district’s diabetes service that encompasses both primary and secondary care. QJM-An Int J Med.2013 Aug;106(8):737-745.
9. Obesity genetics: a monopoly game of genes. Am J Ther. 2013 Jul-Aug;20(4):399-413.
11. The novel oral drug Subetta exerts an antidiabetic effect in the diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rat: comparison with rosiglitazone. J Diabetes Res. 2013;2013:763125.
13. Impact of obesity on the expression profile of natriuretic peptide system in a rat experimental model. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 29;8(8):e72959.
15. Correlations of non-exercise activity thermogenesis to metabolic parameters in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2013 May 27;5(1):26.
17. Phosphorus as an early marker of morbidity and mortality in type 2 chronic kidney disease diabetic patients. J Diabetes Complications. 2013 Jul-Aug;27(4):328-32.
19. Perceptions of diabetes obtained through drawing in childhood and adolescence. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2013 Jun 20;7:595-605.
21. Evaluation of the mean absolute glucose change as a measure of glycemic variability using continuous glucose monitoring data. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2013 Jun;15(6):448-54.
22. Excessive daytime sleepiness in type 2 diabetes. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2013 Aug;57(6):425-30.
23. ATP-P2X4 signaling mediates NLRP3 inflammasome activation: a novel pathway of diabetic nephropathy. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2013 May;45(5):932-43.
25. Safety and efficacy of the nonsystemic chewable complex carbohydrate dietary supplement PAZ320 on postprandial glycemia when added to oral agents or insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Endocr Pract. 2013 Jul-Aug;19(4):627-32.
28. An Obesity Paradox of Asian Body Mass Index after Cardiac Surgery: Arterial Oxygenations in Duration of Mechanic Ventilation. ScientificWorldJournal. 2013 Sep 16;2013:42630. Glucose-reducing effect of the ORMD-0801 oral insulin preparation in patients with uncontrolled type 1 diabetes: a pilot study. PLoS One. 2013 Apr 9;8(4):e59524.
31. Role of nitric oxide and endothelin in endothelial maintenance of vasoconstrictor responses in aortas of diabetic female rats. J Diabetes. 2013 Jun;5(2):197-206.
33. Association between beta cell function and future glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes. Endocr J. 2013;60(4):517-23.
35. Experimental diabetes exacerbates skin transplant rejection in rats. Acta Cir Bras. 2013 May;28(5):323-6.
36. Three dissimilar high fat diets differentially regulate lipid and glucose metabolism in obesity-resistant Slc:Wistar/ST rats. Lipids. 2013 Aug;48(8):803-15.
37. Mechanical efficiency during a cycling test is not lower in children with excess body weight and low aerobic fitness. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Jan;21(1):107-14.
39. Albumin oxidation leads to neutrophil activation in vitro and inaccurate measurement of serum albumin in patients with diabetic nephropathy. Free Radic Biol Med. 2013 Jul;60:49-55.
43. Negativation of type 1 diabetes-associated autoantibodies to glutamic acid decarboxylase and insulin in children treated with oral calcitriol. J Diabetes. 2013 Sep;5(3):344-8.
2. Portal vein glucose entry triggers a coordinated cellular response that potentiates hepatic glucose uptake and storage in normal but not high-fat/high-fructose-fed dogs. Diabetes. 2013 Feb;62(2):392-400.
4. Male adiposity impairs clinical pregnancy rate by in vitro fertilization without affecting day 3 embryo quality. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Aug;21(8):1608-12.
6. Correlation of the Leptin-to-Adiponectin Ratio (LAR) with Insulin Resistance in Lean and Obese SaudiFemales with Type 2 Diabetes. Life Sci J.2012 9(3):1258-1265.
8. Increased production of interleukin-4, interleukin-10, and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor by type 2 diabetes’ mononuclear cells infected with dengue virus, but not increased intracellular viral multiplication. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:965853.
10. Diagnostic predictors of obesity hypoventilation syndrome in patients suspected of having sleep disordered breathing. J Clin Sleep Med.2013 9(9):879-884.
12. Insulin-dependent diabetes induced by pancreatic beta cell expression of IL-15 and IL-15Rα. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Aug 13;110(33):13534-9.
14. Antioxidant activity of melatonin in diabetes in relation to the regulation and levels of plasma Cu, Zn, Fe, Mn, and Se in Zucker diabetic fatty rats. Nutrition. 2013 May;29(5):785-9.16. Effects of CB1 receptor blockade on monosodium glutamate induced hypometabolic and hypothalamic obesity in rats. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2013 Aug;386(8):721-32.
18. ACE I/D and MTHFR C677T polymorphisms are significantly associated with type 2 diabetes in Arab ethnicity: a meta-analysis. Gene. 2013 May 15;520(2):166-77.
20. A retinoic acid receptor agonist tamibarotene suppresses iron accumulation in the liver. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21:E22-E25.
24. Erythrocyte caspase-3 and antioxidant defence is activated in red blood cells and plasma of type 2 diabetes patients at first clinical onset. Redox Rep. 2013;18(2):56-62.
26. Endogenous oxidative stress, but not ER stress, induces hypoxia-independent VEGF120 release through PI3K-dependent pathways in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Aug;21(8):1625-34.
27. Association of arterial stiffness and diabetes with triglycerides-to-HDL cholesterol ratio for Japanese men: the Nagasaki Islands Study. Atherosclerosis. 2013 Jun;228(2):491-5.
29. Hyperglycemia-induced protein kinase C β2 activation induces diastolic cardiac dysfunction in diabetic rats by impairing caveolin-3 expression and Akt/eNOS signaling. Diabetes.2013 Jul; 62(7): 2318-28.
32. [D-Leu-4]-OB3, an orally bioavailable leptin-related synthetic peptide insulin sensitizer: a study comparing the efficacies of [D-Leu-4]-OB3 and metformin on energy balance and glycemic regulation in insulin-deficient male Swiss Webster mice. Peptides.2013 May;43:167-173.
34. Advanced diabetic nephropathy with nephrotic range proteinuria: a pilot study of the long-term efficacy of subcutaneous ACTH gel on proteinuria, progression of CKD, and urinary levels of VEGF and MCP-1. J Diabetes Res. 2013;2013:489869.
38. Comparison Between Shorter Straight and Thinner Microtapered Insulin Injection Needles. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2013 Jul;15(7):550-555.
40. Heat-washout – an objective method for diagnosing neuropathy and atherosclerosis in diabetic patients. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging. 2013 Jul;33(4):302-6.
42. Indices of insulin resistance and dyslipidemia are correlated with lymphocyte proneness to apoptosis in obese or overweight low birth weight children. Horm Res Paediatr. 2013;79(5):293-9. doi: 10.1159/000351012.